Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Company: Bullis School
Posted on: November 18, 2021
Bullis School seeks an accomplished DEI practitioner and
strategic leader to serve as the Director of Diversity, Equity, and
Inclusion starting in the 2 academic year. A member of the school's
Senior Leadership Team and reporting to the Head of School, the
Director will provide vision and leadership to advance the school's
ongoing efforts to sustain a diverse, equitable, anti-biased, and
inclusive school community. This is a 12-month position starting
July 1, 2022. The Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will
engage students, faculty, and families in meaningful dialogue and
programs to build understanding and create sustainable change
embraced by the community. The Director will employ a deep
knowledge of current research and practice to execute the school's
strategic, operational, and programmatic initiatives. As a present
and engaged community member, the Director will demonstrate a deep
concern and compassion for people by building trusting
relationships, listening deeply, and communicating skillfully.
- Provide strategic leadership in the school's operational and
programmatic initiatives related to diversity, equity, and
inclusion based in the school's mission and strategic plan.
- Work as a member of the Senior Leadership Team to ensure that
the school's policies, practices, and procedures sustain a diverse,
equitable, anti-biased, and inclusive school community.
- Partner with the Dean of Faculty, Human Resources, and the
Admission Office to identify and carry out strategies for
recruiting, welcoming, and retaining a broadly diverse faculty,
student, and parent body.
- In collaboration with the Director of Teaching & Learning and
as a Curriculum and Program Committee member, spearhead efforts to
develop and sustain an inclusive curriculum that highlights diverse
perspectives, histories, and experiences and builds cross-cultural
- In counsel with divisional co-chairs, lead the Diversity,
Equity, and Inclusion Committee.
- Serve as a resource to the community in diversity, equity,
inclusion, and multicultural practices.
- Ensure all students are afforded equitable access to the
school's academic and co-curricular programs.
- Create and facilitate programs and essential training for
students and faculty designed to build understanding, foster a
culture of inclusion and a sense of belonging
- Partner with the Parent Association to design and implement
parent education and support programs and expand the involvement of
parents from underrepresented groups.
- Provide guidance and support to student clubs rooted in issues
of equity and inclusion and oversee affinity and ally groups for
students and faculty
- Partner with Communications to publicize diversity-related
events and opportunities and aid in implementing a marketing and
branding strategy that aligns with the school's diversity
- Connect with alumni from various backgrounds and support their
connection and engagement in the school's diversity efforts.
- Act as a liaison between the school and organizations in the
greater community to support outreach, service partnerships,
admissions marketing, and recruitment programs.
- Remain current on best practices by attending professional
development opportunities, conferences, and professional meetings
and networking with other schools and communities locally,
regionally, and nationally. The School Bullis is a community that
welcomes new people and ideas, embraces diversity, and shares a
common vision of kindness, challenge, joy, and reflective learning.
Bullis is proud of its culture of innovation and growth and
supports faculty with ample professional development opportunities
that include a commitment to Equity and Inclusion and training and
education. Bullis School is an independent coeducational college
preparatory day school of 900 students in grades K-12 situated on a
beautiful 102-acre campus in Potomac, MD, and is home to a full
range of state-of-the-art facilities for learning, arts, discovery,
and athletics. To learn more about teaching and learning at Bullis
School please click here . Qualities of the Director of DEI
- Approach to conflict and change management that utilizes strong
problem-solving skills, determination, and good judgment and
addresses discomfort and tension from a solutions-oriented
- Commitment to respecting a broad range of views and to building
mutual understanding, trust, and shared commitment through
- A proven collaborator who can effectively engage, inspire, and
motivate a wide range of constituents ( administrators, faculty,
students, and families) with varied backgrounds and
- Strong skills in oral and written communication, deep
listening, long-range planning, and program implementation
- Outstanding interpersonal skills marked by humor, positivity,
humility, empathy, and emotional intelligence
- Proactive, strong organization and attention to detail
- Demonstrated success promoting a vision, communicating a
strategy, and providing leadership through to execution aligned
with the strategic diversity, equity, and inclusion goals of the
- Experience leading teams and facilitating workshops on
diversity, equity, inclusion, and cultural competency.
- Knowledge of current research, trends, and practice gained
through in-depth training in diversity, equity, inclusion, and
- Master's degree or higher in education or a related field
- Teaching or other education-related experience is desirable
Application Instructions Interested candidates should submit the
following materials through the Bullis Career site .
- Cover letter expressing interest in the Bullis School Director
of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion position.
- Current resume.
- Statement of educational/leadership philosophy and
- List three professional references, including name, title,
phone number, email address, and professional relationship
(references are contacted only with the candidate's permission).
Search Process After an initial review of applicants in December
2021, the Search Committee will contact a select group of
candidates for interviews. Bullis will invite finalists for a more
comprehensive series of interviews with administrators and other
school constituents. We will keep applicants informed of their
status throughout the process. Bullis School is committed to staff
diversity, equality, and continued professional growth. Bullis
School provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all
employees and applicants for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or
genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Bullis School
complies with applicable state and local laws governing
nondiscrimination in employment. recblid
Keywords: Bullis School, Potomac , Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Accounting, Auditing , Potomac, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!